Dunedin Consort "In The Beginning" CD
Scotland's premier young vocal ensemble makes its Linn debut with this stunning recording of a cappella vocal music featuring a beautiful vocal arrangement of Samuel Barber's celebrated Adagio for Strings.
Originally released in 2001 In the Beginning has been re-issued as part of Linn's ECHO series which offers a second chance to enjoy the best of the label's award-winning catalogue.
‘This is a stunning performance, and a brilliant recording.' Hi-Fi Choice
‘...unaccompanied, glowingly sung and recorded.' Daily Telegraph
‘[a] most imaginatively planned programme.' The Times
‘Crisp singing and clear diction is matched by outstanding technical ability by the singers.' Sunday Herald
Dunedin Consort made its Linn debut with this stunning recording of a cappella vocal music by America's two most famous 20th century composers: Aaron Copland and Samuel Barber. The Dunedin Consort's programme demonstrates the common ground both Copland and Barber shared: in their settings for unaccompanied chorus, each had an instinctive feel for the human voice, a natural gift for word-setting, and a pure style of writing that rarely, if ever, obscured its literary dimension.
This moving disc features a beautiful vocal arrangement of Samuel Barber's celebrated Adagio for Strings. Aaron Copland's In the beginning, featuring mezzo-soprano Sally Bruce Payne, is beautifully simple with lilting Britten-like polytonality and infectious jazz rhythms and soft hints of blues.
- In the Beginning
- Reincarnations, Op. 16: No. 1, Mary Hynes
- Reincarnations, Op. 16: No. 2, Anthony O'Daly
- Reincarnations, Op. 16: No. 3, The Coolin
- 2 Pieces, Op. 42: No. 2, To Be Sung on the Water
- 4 Songs, Op. 13: No. 1, A Nun Takes the Veil. Heaven-Haven
- Let Down the Bars, O Death, Op. 8 No. 2
- The Virgin Martyrs, Op. 8 No. 1
- Agnus Dei, Op. 11
- 4 Motets: I. Help Us, O Lord
- 4 Motets: II. Thou, O Jehovah, Abideth Forever
- 4 Motets: III. Have Mercy on Us, O My Lord
- 4 Motets: IV. Sing Ye Praises to Our King