Jonathan Freeman-Attwood "Trumpet Masque" SACD
Virtuoso trumpeter Jonathan Freeman-Attwood and pianist Daniel-Ben Pienaar present the third in the series of works 're-imagined' for solo trumpet - an imaginative and thrilling interpretation of Baroque works.
'Exquisite...They are the perfect dream team.' Brass Review
'...their performances simply glow...' The Sunday Herald
'...compelling listening...red-hot performances' The Scotsman
Trumpet Masque sees renowned trumpeter Jonathan Freeman-Attwood explore his passion for expanding the instrument's limited chamber repertoire by imaginatively arranging Baroque works previously scored for alternative forces. In Trumpet Masque, Jonathan Freeman-Attwood and Daniel-Ben Pienaar take a radical new look at the seveneenth century with a compelling vision of repertoire historically far-removed from the traditional contexts of both trumpet and piano.
Through wonderfully vibrant programming and arrangements, this invigorating and warm-hearted chamber duo present music from Dowland to Purcell in an energetic, innovative and twenty-first century fashion. The aim of this recording is to open our ears to a period of unequalled variety, colour, regional diversity and expressive freedom: the Venetian world of Gabrieli, the great pre-Bach north German lineage of Buxtehude, Jacobean dances and songs and the great G major Sonata from Muffat's ‘Armonico Tributo' with its virtuoso and valedictory passacaglia, which appropriately ends the album.
Trumpet Masque provides a unique twenty-first century perspective on re-discovered chamber music of the Baroque period expertly re-worked for trumpet and piano.
- Louis Marchand: Grand Dialogue du 5e ton
- FranÃ§ois Couperin: Chromhorne sur la Taille
- Giovanni Gabrieli: Canzon seconda
- Joan Cabanilles: Tiento XVII de Pange lingua punt alt
- Francisco Correa de Arauxo: Tiento de medio registro, no. 36
- Heinrich SchÃ1/4tz: Der Herr ist gross, SWV 286
- Claudio Monteverdi: Laudate Dominum
- Dietrich Buxtehude: Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott
- Georg BÃ¶hm: Vater unser in Himmelreich
- John Dowland: When the poore Criple
- Anthony Holborne: Dovehouse Pavan and Galliard
- Henry Purcell: Fantasia 4, Z735
- Jan Pieterzoon Sweelinck: Variations on Onder een linde groen
- Jean-Baptiste Lully, arr. Purcell: Scocca pur
- Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber: Sonata VIII
- Georg Muffat: Sonata no.5 in G majo