Palladians / The Palladian Ensemble "Tartini: The Devil's Trill" SACD
Palladians presents a collection of works by Giuseppe Tartini and Francesco Maria Veracini which was named 'Chamber Disc of the Month' by BBC Music Magazine and 'Classical CD of the Week' by the Sunday Times upon release.
Best Recording of 2008 - High Fidelity Magazine
Opus d'Or Award - Opus
Chamber Choice: '...uninhibited joy gives way to heart-rending passion...this is breath-taking stuff.' BBC Music Magazine
Classical CD of the Week: '...frequently recorded, but rarely with the gusto and technical address displayed by this outstanding baroque group...[a] compelling programme.' The Sunday Times
On this recording Palladians present programmatic sonatas by the Italian composer, Giuseppe Tartini, including the famous 'Devil's Trill' Sonata. Famed throughout Europe as a pre-eminent virtuoso, Tartini's programmatic sonatas ('Didone Abbandonata' and the 'Devil's Trill' – a deservedly celebrated masterpiece) display his intense pictorial inward gaze that sets him apart from his many Italian colleagues.
Also included is a sonata by Francesco Maria Veracini, a fellow composer and violinist, whose skilful playing was a great influence on the young Tartini. Veracini's legendary virtuosity (which led Tartini to temporarily withdraw into solitary practice) created a storm of success in England and led to the popular toast 'One God, One King, and One Veracini!'
Originally released in 2008, The Devil's Trill has been re-issued as part of Linn's ECHO series which offers a second chance to enjoy the best of the label's award-winning catalogue.
- Sonata in G minor, Op.1 No.4 'The Devil's Trill' - I. Larghetto affetuoso
- Sonata in G minor, Op.1 No.4 'The Devil's Trill' - II. Allegro - Tempo giusto
- Sonata in G minor, Op.1 No.4 'The Devil's Trill' - III. Sogni del autore: Andante - Allegro assai - Trillo del Diavolo
- Sonata in G minor, Op.1 No.10 'Didone abbandonata' - I. Affetuoso
- Sonata in G minor, Op.1 No.10 'Didone abbandonata' - II. Presto
- Sonata in G minor, Op.1 No.10 'Didone Abbandonata' - III. Allegro
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.7 - I. Cantabile
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.7 - II. Larghetto
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.7 - III. Allegro
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.7 - IV. Largo
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.7 - V. Allegro
- Sonata in E minor, Op.1 No.5 - Largo
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.13 'Pastorale' - I. Grave
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.13 'Pastorale' - II. Allegro
- Sonata in A major, Op.1 No.13 'Pastorale' - III. Largo - Presto - Largo - Presto - Andante
- Grave in D minor