Retrospect Ensemble "J.S. Bach: Harpsichord Concertos" SACD
Retrospect continue their highly acclaimed series of recordings with this current offering: J. S. Bach Harpsichord Concertos. Matthew Halls directs from the harpsichord in this elegantly virtuosic Bach performance. Revel in this fascinating recording - and even try to identify the 'Bach re-worked' passages...
Disc of the Month - BBC Music Magazine
'Hall's sparkling articulation generates enormous exuberance...all in all...irresistible.'
'Disc of the Week' BBC Radio 3 CD Review
'One of the Best Classical Albums of 2012' AllMusic.com
'...this is a recording that makes you sit up and listen, both for the verve of the ensemble playing and the range of colours and dynamics Halls produces, and for the sheer ear-popping brilliance of their chosen repertoire.' BBC Online
Having wowed the critics with its 2011 recording of J.S. Bach: Easter and Ascension Oratorios Retrospect Ensemble returns with Bach's Harpsichord Concertos. Director Matthew Halls takes on the role of soloist, having proved both his keyboard virtuosity and affinity with Bach's harpsichord music in his debut solo recording, J.S. Bach: Goldberg Variations, which IRR named 'Outstanding'.
Bach's harpsichord concertos are full of dazzling virtuosic passages and incredible solo cadenzas; they showcase his natural flair for contrapuntal and chromatic colour and feature re-worked old favourites.
- Concerto VI in F Major, BWV 1057 - I. Allegro
- Concerto VI in F Major, BWV 1057 - II. Andante
- Concerto VI in F Major, BWV 1057 - III. Allegro assai
- Concerto in G minor, BWV 1058 - I. Allegro
- Concerto in G minor, BWV 1058 - II. Andante
- Concerto in G minor, BWV 1058 - III. Allegro assai
- Concerto I in D minor, BWV 1052 - I. Allegro
- Concerto I in D minor, BWV 1052 - II. Adagio
- Concerto I in D minor, BWV 1052 - III. Allegro
- Concerto IV in A Major, BWV 1055 - I. Allegro
- Concerto IV in A Major, BWV 1055 - II. Larghetto
- Concerto IV in A Major, BWV 1055 - III. Allegro ma non tanto