Scottish Ensemble "Ravel & Shostakovich for strings" SACD
This is the world premiere recording of Rudolph Barshai's arrangements of Ravel and Shostakovich string quartets.
‘A rewarding musical experience…’ BBC Music Magazine
‘And magically atmospheric and intriguing it is, with every ounce of zest and colour in the original not merely captured, but given fresh (and effective) perspective.’ The Herald
‘Barshai's version of the Tenth offers both mystery and electrifying charm in equal measure.’ The Scotsman
‘It is an unqualified success.’ The Sunday Herald
The specially commissioned arrangements retain the nuances that make the original string quartets so special but also add a whole world of subtle sonorities. The Shostakovich quartet shows him in the prime of his creative life; Barshai's orchestration adds to the texture and depth of this piece. The Ravel String Quartet in F major is one of director Clio Gould's favourite pieces of music so she was delighted when Rudolf Barshai agreed to orchestrate this. Barshai, a student of Shostakovich and a founding member of the Borodin and Tchaikovsky Quartets has also completed arrangements of Shostakovich's four chamber symphonies.
- Petite symphonie a cordes: Allegro moderato. Tres doux
- Petite symphonie a cordes: Assez vif. Tres rythme
- Petite symphonie a cordes: Tres lent
- Petite symphonie a cordes: Vif et agite
- Chamber Symphony, Op. 118a: Andante
- Chamber Symphony, Op. 118a: Allegretto furioso
- Chamber Symphony, Op. 118a: Adagio
- Chamber Symphony, Op. 118a: Allegro