The Prince Consort "Ned Rorem – On an echoing road" SACD
Ned Rorem is one of the most widely-recorded living American composers, who Time Magazine called 'the world's best composer of art songs', with over 500 songs to his name.
'Editor's Choice' - Gramophone
As heard on BBC Radio 3
'IRR Outstanding' - International Record Review
'The performances alone and together are in every way ideal. The recording is flawless.' Ned Rorem
The dynamic Prince Consort comprises five singers and a pianist, all of whom are drawing major international attention for their solo endeavours. Brought together by their love of singing this repertoire, Anna Leese, Jennifer Johnston, Andrew Staples, Jacques Imbrailo, Tim Mead and Alisdair Hogarth are a compelling combination. This is their debut album.
Ned Rorem - On an echoing road features songs that are lyrical, beguiling and unaffectedly simple, intriguing, melodic and intimate. They have echoes of French, English and American song repertoires whilst being distinctively Ned Rorem. New York magazine called Evidence of Things Not Seen 'one of the musically richest, most exquisitely fashioned, most voice-friendly collections of songs I have ever heard by any American composer'.
- Early in the Morning
- Are You the New Person?
- Rain in Spring
- 3 Poems of Paul Goodman: No. 1. For Susan
- Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
- Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair (arr. N. Rorem)
- To a Young Girl
- Catullus: on the Burial of his Brother
- Evidence of Things Not Seen: No. 22. Requiescat
- I Will Always Love You
- A Whitman Cantata: A Whitman Cantata: That shadow, my likeness
- Evidence of Things Not Seen: No. 29. On an Echoing Road
- 2 Poems of Theodore Roethke: No. 2. I Strolled Across an Open Field
- Little Elegy
- 5 Poems of Walt Whitman: No. 2. Sometimes with One I Love
- Evidence of Things Not Seen: No. 14. Hymn for Morning
- 2 Poems of Theodore Roethke: No. 1. Orchids
- On a Singing Girl
- Now Sleeps the Crimson Petal
- What if some little pain
- 5 Songs to Poems: 5 Songs to Poems: No. 4. Look Down, Fair Moon
- Evidence of Things Not Seen: No. 4. The Rainbow
- Poems of Love and the Rain: No. 6. Do I Love You More than a Day?
- Evidence of Things Not Seen: No. 7. Their Lonely Betters
- O Do Not Love Too Long
- Evidence of Things Not Seen: No. 19. Comment on War
- The Serpent
- Full of Life Now