Trevor Pinnock "Journey" SACD
This unique harpsichord recital charts two incredible musical journeys 400 years apart. Inspired by the travels of Antonio Cabezón, the sixteenth-century organist and composer, Pinnock's programme weaves a path not only through Cabezón's life but also through his own enviable career.
'I can recommend this birthday disc with wholehearted enthusiasm.' BBC Music Magazine
'...a quirky and intensely personal collection...let's hope there is more to come from this supremely musical player.' The Observer
Recording of the Month: 'It would be pointless to compare the performances with those on other recordings: there's no comparable programme...the playing is as brilliant as ever...' MusicWeb International
In celebration of his seventieth birthday, Pinnock has chosen a personal selection of works that evoke vivid memories from different stages of his life. Success in their respective careers led both Pinnock and Cabezón to travel widely; Cabezón's journeys through Europe resulted in meetings with several of the composers included in this program.
Journey sees Pinnock perform repertoire spanning two hundred years (encompassing works by Tallis, Byrd, Bull, Sweelinck, Bach, Frescobaldi, Handel and Scarlatti) on his favorite home instrument, a harpsichord made in 1982 after a model by the mid eighteenth-century French builder, Henri Hemsch. Pinnock's own journey has seen him recognized as one of the finest players of his generation, receiving many prizes and international recognition along the way whilst amassing an exceptional discography; his truly is an epic journey.
- Diferencias sobre "El canto del caballero"
- The Carman's Whistle
- O Ye Tender Babes
- The King's Hunt
- 6 Variations on "Mein junges Leben hat ein End", SwWV 324
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: I. Prélude
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: II. Allemande
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: III. Courante
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: IV. Sarabande
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: V. Gavotte
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: VI. Polonaise
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: VII. Bourrée
- French Suite No. 6 In E Major, Bwv 817: VIII. Menuet
- French Suite No. 6 in E Major, BWV 817: IX. Gigue
- Toccate e partite d'intavolatura, Book 1: Toccata nona, F. 2.09
- Toccate e partite d'intavolatura, Book 1: Balletto, F. 2.21 - Balletto secondo, F. 2.24
- Chaconne in G Major, HWV 435
- Keyboard Sonata in D Major, K. 490 "Cantabile"
- Keyboard Sonata in D Major, K. 491 "Allegro"
- Keyboard Sonata in D Major, K. 492 "Presto"